The Global Family|
Links around the world
|Log in | Search | Help|
Frequently asked questions
Why do some names just appear with surname and sex (e.g. SMITH (Male) b.1987)
If you give us permission, what information will be shown about you?
What about deceased people?
How do I add my own details, or correct or add to existing information?
What if I submit information about other people?
What about children?
How can I contact Global Family?
How do I contact someone whose name appears on Global Family?
- Why do some names just appear with surname and sex (e.g. SMITH (Male) b.1987)Unless we have your written permission we display only very basic details - i.e. surname, year of birth, year of marriage.
Some notes can also be included such as education, occupation, interests, achievements, etc and your current area of residence (but not specific address). A link to a personal website can also be shown.
In addition a small passport type photo can be shown at the top of your main page, and links can be created to pictures or documents.
An email address must be supplied if possible but need not be publicly displayed.
- What about deceased people?Usually all details are shown for people who have died. Global Family aims, however, to respect the wishes of close relatives who make it known that they do not want information displayed.
- How do I add my own details, or correct or add to existing information?Print a copy of the form available here, fill in the details, sign it, scan it and email it back to us at: email@example.com You can send details for yourself or for other people. Or if you just need to correct a few small details, you can email them to us.
- What if I submit information about other people?You may want to submit information about your parents, spouse, children or other related family members. If you submit information about another living person we will accept it and record it but only the basic details for that person will be publicly displayed, until they give permission for the other details to be displayed.
- What about children?Consent to display details of children under 18 years of age must be given by a parent or guardian.
- How do I contact someone whose name appears on Global Family?Your email address can be displayed on the site if desired. Or you may supply this information but request that it not be displayed, and supplied to others only with your consent. We may also store your other contact details (e.g. address, email, phone numbers) but these will never be publicly displayed, and will also be available to others only with your consent.
- How can I contact Global Family?Our email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Global Family respects the privacy of your personal information and is committed to upholding the National Privacy Principles contained in the Australian Federal Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000.
The personal information collected by Global Family will be used only for the purpose of maintaining and developing the Global Family web site. It will not be used for any other commercial or non-commercial purpose. Global Family will not supply its data to any other organisation or person other than those seeking information on other people appearing on the site, and only where consent si given.
We respect your privacy and will not publish given names or detailed data about you without your permission. You may at any time request the details of all information about you held by Global Family and request that the information be updated, altered or deleted.
Basic data about you available on the public record (such as surname, sex, year of birth, year of marriage) is shown as a 'placeholder' on the site where you have not yet given your permission for other details to be shown, or if you have requested that your details remain private.
In addition images (photos, documents etc) relating to you will not be displayed without your permission. This means that a group photo will not be shown without the permission of all the people identified in that photo.
Permission for display of details must be given on a document provided by Global Family and signed by you, returned to Global Family by mail or by fax so we can hold a paper copy of this permission.
Where you have given permission for your details to be shown these will include
Other details supplied by you such as full address, phone and fax numbers will not be displayed on the site and will be supplied to a third party only with your consent
Parents may give permission for display of the details of children under the age of eighteen. When a child turns eighteen Global Family will contact them to renew permission in their own right.
Where information is inadvertantly displayed against the wishes of the person concerned we will remove that information immediately upon request.
If requested Global Family can display your personal web address or email address, or these can be stored confidentially and revealed to a third party only with your permission. Your address, phone, fax and any other contact details can be stored in Global Family's records but will never be displayed on the web site, and will be provided to other people only with your permission.
By default we will display full details of deceased people. However we recognise that family members may have some concerns with this and we will respect family wishes in maintaining privacy in some areas as long as it is required.
Concerns about this policy
As we are a new site and are still developing our policies and procedures, we welcome any comments or suggestions you may have.